Related Pages: Cycling Island Hiking
Driftwood Village is walking distance to six Shore Access Points, including sandy and rocky shores, forest trails, and soaring cliffs. You’ll find those six points on the map below, including the approximate walking time (one way) from Driftwood. Pictures and descriptions below the map outline the Shore Access Point numbers and offer a brief description of each location.
Hard copies of all maps available at the Driftwood office.
(1) Bellhouse Park – A 20 minute walk from Driftwood Village, Bellhouse Park offers lovely sandstone approaches to the ocean, a walking trail and information about the Active Pass Important Bird designation.Park
(2) Scorpion Beach – Shore Access # 10, 20 minute walk. Follow Burrill Road to Jack Road, then turn right on Farmhouse Road. A short, easy path leads to stone stairs and the sandy beach.
(3) Arbutus Point Road – Shore Access #11. 8 minute walk to short open path, easy walk to rocky shore.
(4) Mary Ann Point – Shore Access #14; new access. The perfect 20 minute dog walk from Driftwood! Follow the quiet country road to the cedar path on the left. Steep shoreline to ocean, no water access but a lovely place to watch Active Pass go by!
(5) Matthews Point – Shore Access # 15, 10 minute walk through the forest to summit; 15 to sandy beach via steep trail. This is the “secret beach’ you can see from the ferry coming through Active Pass, a quiet oasis of white sand and marine life. Though it can be tempting to swim here, tides and currents are constantly “active” and swimming is discouraged.
(6) Bluff Park. Though this is a 20-minute uphill walk from Driftwood, the workout and the lookout are worth it! The view over Active Pass, Trincomali Channel and the Southern Gulf Islands is that ‘picture postcard’ vista. Trails from here lead down towards the shore, and throughout the Park.